1607 — When the English settlers set shore along the Virginia coastline, the Chickahominy were one of about 30 tribes who received them. In December, John Smith was captured at the head waters of the Chickahominy River and handed over to Chief Powhatan.
1614 — The Chickahominy Indian Tribe signed a treaty with Sir Thomas Dale, Governor of the Jamestown Colony, agreeing to provide two bushels of corn per man and send warriors to protect the English. Sir Thomas Dale agreed in return to allow the tribe to continue to practice their own tribal governance.
1646 — A treaty was signed which forced the Chickahominy from their homeland to the area around the York River in present–day King William County, leading to the formation of a reservation.
1677 — Following Bacon’s Rebellion, the Queen of Pamunkey signed the Treaty of Middle Plantation on behalf of the Chickahominy.
1702 — The Chickahominy were pushed off their reservation, which caused the loss of a land base.
1723 — The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg established a grammar school for Indians called Brafferton College. A Chickahominy child was one of the first Indians to attend.
1750 — The Chickahominy Indian Tribe began migrating from King William County back to the area around the Chickahominy River in New Kent and Charles City Counties.
1793 — A Baptist missionary named Bradby took refuge with the Chickahominy and took a Chickahominy woman as his wife.
1831 — The names of the ancestors of the modern-day Chickahominy Indian Tribe began to appear in Charles City County census records.
1870 — A census showed an enclave of Indians in New Kent County which is believed to be the beginning of the Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division. Records were destroyed when the New Kent County courthouse was burned. A State census is the only record from this time.
1901 — The Chickahominy formed Samaria Baptist Church. During the first few decades of the 20th Century, Chickahominy men were assessed a tribal tax so their children could receive an education. The Tribe used the proceeds from this tax to build the first Samaria Indian School, buy supplies, and pay a teacher’s salary.
1910 — A school was started in New Kent County for the Chickahominy Indians-Eastern Division. Grades 1 through 8 were taught the one room school.
1920-1921 — The Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division began forming their own tribal government. E. P. Bradby was the first elected Chief.
1922 — Tsena Commocko Baptist Church was organized in New Kent County off of Route 60 in the Windsor Shades area.
1925 — A certificate of incorporation was issued to the Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division.
1950 — The Indian school was closed and students were bused to Samaria Indian School in Charles City County.
1967 — Both Chickahominy tribes lost their school to integration.
1982-1984 — Tsena Commocko Baptist Church built a new sanctuary to accommodate church growth.
1983 — The Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division was granted state recognition along with five other Virginia Indian tribes.
1985 — The Virginia Council on Indians was organized as a State agency and the Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division was appointed a seat on the Council.
1988 — The United Indians of Virginia were organized and the Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division was granted a seat on the Board of Directors.
April 2002 — The Chickahominy Indians Eastern Division became one of the last State Recognized Tribes to purchase land. The land occupies 41 acres and located partially along Route 60 and Mount Pleasant Road.
August 2008 – Construction began on the Tribal Government Center.